Homework!

Hello!

I am a teacher at a residential school for the deaf.  Some students from other countries refer to it as a boarding school.  Students live at the from Monday to Friday and go home Friday afternoon.  During the week, students have sports, captioned movies special events and also have tutoring in the evenings. I am one of the evening tutors.

Students come with several hours of homework.  Most students use a plan book.  But some students think they can remember everything, but they usually forget!

One teacher uses a flipped classroom.  Students do their research and work independently and do their homework in class.

What are your thoughts?

1.  Do you like homework?

2.  How much homework is fair?

3.  Why do teachers give you homework?

5 thoughts on “Homework!

1. SA Maritza

It is Autumn here in South Africa. The weather is starting to get cooler but we still have hot days. We have school holidays now. I will ask my friends when school starts again and let you know about Edmodo.

Yes but only 1st and 4th term. Because 2nd and 3rd term are cold.

Reply
  2. SA Maritza

1. Sometimes. 2. Enough homework to keep me busy for an hour or hour and a half. 3. To reinforce what we were taught on the day and also to make sure we understand what was taught. I am a swimmer and do 2 hours training a day. Too much homework interfere with my training and visa versa.

Reply
    1. ArleneB Post author

Nice to hear from you, Maritza. It is spring now here in the US. Is it
      very warm now in South Africa? We also use Edmodo.com. It would be great if you
      could join us. Some students from California just posted a video of
      Their school. You would need a password to join. Let me know if you
      And your friends are interested.

Do you have a swim team at school? We have a swim club that meets after school.
      We also have a summer camp for deaf students who live all over the US.

Reply
  3. Ashley M USA

Hi. I never use plan book for homework but i always use my phone help me remember homework. My teachers give me homework everyday.

Reply
  4. TamaraCS

Hello,

I have been trying a form of flipped class that is called: Asynchronous Flip – we use video in class or as a way to support what we are learning. I don’t assign videos for homework–they are made as additional materials for students who want or need it. Sometimes students make videos of themselves to help with learning. I let kids work through lessons at their own pace, where students can work ahead but can’t fall too far behind. They are given a checklist of things they must complete and they work at their own pace. Students who fall behind are required to see me for tutoring either during lunch or after school and may end up needing to complete assignments for homework. Video is one way of accessing the content, and students can choose others, so long as they can demonstrate learning.

Using this method means I rarely assign homework during class. Homework is usually for students who are falling behind and may not be able to finish work during class–or may not meet the grade report deadline. Students see me often during lunch or after school for tutoring. Most of my students have been doing really well with this method and they like not having homework–they like having more choice in which lessons to complete or taking more time if they need it. It also lets me have more time to help students 1:1.

Reply